Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Patagonia Chronicle: "fascinating [to] both fiction and nonfiction lovers"

I am re-posting the most recent review that was sent to Amazon.com. I'm doing so for a couple of reasons--it makes me feel good, and it introduces a topic that authors and publishers sometimes have to deal with. Here's what Joyce B. had to say: 

"Travel books usually put me to sleep. Not this one. I'm a wimp. My hikes end each day with a hot shower and a soft bed in our warm, dry motorhome. Despite all the undoubtedly useful content for aspiring long-distance hikers, it was the story that kept me reading. I'd find myself thinking about Susan and Ralph at odd moments during the day - as eager to see what would happen next as I would be with a good novel (my usual fare).

"Susan's writing is refreshingly down-to-earth and honest. Things don't always go right. They make mistakes and have doubt's, foibles and disappointments. They pick themselves up and go on - or not. They make choices that fit them. They support each other. You won't realize you're reading a love story if you expect fireworks, but this is the real deal.

"I found myself unexpectedly fascinated by Susan's thorough detailing of the whole process. I even poured over the appendices! I'd never considered going to Patagonia, but with this book along it seems possible. You'd expect guidance for the big stuff, but even answers to small mysteries - like exactly what they eat for breakfasts (and what to avoid) and how to escape going out in the rain when you're sleeping in a tent and have to pee at night - emerge as the story unfolds. Susan includes enough natural and cultural history to paint a picture without getting bogged down. I was left a little hungry rather than overstuffed. There's always Wiki if you want more.

"This is a rare book. Not since Seabiscuit have I read something capable of fascinating both fiction and non-fiction lovers. Highly recommended!"

You can see why it makes me feel good. Writes do a lot of their work in isolation, but long to communicate. When something we have to say moves someone else to write a rave review, it's a good indication we have touched them. For most writers, there is little financial reward, so making a difference in the world is a big deal. 

The second way that Joyce's post caught my attention is her comment that Patagonia Chronicle would be fascinating to both non-fiction and fiction readers. Now that the writing and publishing have been completed on my book, I have begun to work on promotion. I want to get the word out. However, most everyone wants me to put the title into a narrow niche. However, since Patagonia Chronicle combines travel narrative, travel guide info, cultural information, history, and environmental issues, it has been really difficult to put it in a box. 


I'll come back to this topic at some point, but I wanted to update my journey with the book. 

No comments: